In Meukeuta Alam (the customary book of Aceh), it is explained that in Rumoh Atjeh, part of the house and yard belongs to the daughter or mother. If a husband dies, then Rumoh Atjeh belongs to his wife or daughters. Wife called peurumoh or jiak or someone who has a house. (Information is accessed from the Indonesian Wikipedia, “Aceh traditional house”.)
Rumoh Atjeh was established during the Dutch East Indies, inaugurated by the Aceh Civil and Military Governor General H.N.A Swart (31 July 1915). The building originated from the Aceh pavilion in the Colonial Exhibition arena (de Koloniale Tentoonstelling), Semarang (13 August – 15 November, 1914). Then brought back to Aceh, placed in the east of Blang Padang in Banda Aceh. The Rumoh Atjehh Museum is under civil responsibility and belongs to the Aceh government. In 1969, based on T. Hamzah Bendahara’s idea, the Rumoh Atjeh Museum was moved from Blang Padang to Sultan Alaidin Mahmudsyah street.